For the purposes of the Jobs and Competiveness Program, the activity of production of carbon black.
The chemical transformation of gaseous or liquid hydrocarbons to produce carbon black where carbon black is defined a colloidal carbon material in the form of spheres and of their fused aggregates with sizes below 1000nm.
The output of this activity is dry on-specification carbon black which is to be used for the calculation of revenue
Basis of allocation
tonnes of dry pelletised carbon black where carbon black is defined a colloidal carbon material in the form of spheres and of their fused aggregates with sizes below 1000nm which is produced as on-specification product which result from carrying out the activity as described.
For the purposes of the formal data assessment, emissions and electricity use which are to be included within the activity boundary are:
- The direct emissions from, and electricity use of, machinery, equipment and processes which are integral to, and essential for, the physical and/or chemical transformation described in the activity definition, including, for example:
- machinery used to move materials within and as part of the activity;
- controls rooms, laboratories, maintenance workshops;
- machinery used to create non-electrical energy for use in the activity;
- the processing of by-products where they involve the recovery of materials for re-use within the activity or are necessary for the activity to proceed as described; and
- onsite processing of waste materials from the activity to comply with Commonwealth, State or Territory obligations
- Waste heat recovery within the activity boundary
- Steam consumed within the activity boundary
- The combustion of tail gas
- The wet pelletisation process
- Recycling of carbon black within the activity boundary
For the purposes of the formal data assessment, emissions and electricity use which are not taken to relate to the activity and must be excluded are those associated with:
- transportation of inputs used in the activity to storage at the same location as the activity
- transportation of the output from the activity from storage at the same location as the activity
- complementary activities, such as packaging, head office, administrative and marketing operations, either at the same location as the activity or elsewhere
- emissions associated with the generation of electricity on the site where the activity is conducted1
- ASTM D1510 - 08c Standard Test Method for Carbon Black—Iodine Adsorption Number
- ASTM D2414 - 08a Standard Test Method for Carbon Black—Oil Absorption Number (OAN)
1 Assistance in relation to electricity emissions will be provided at a constant rate of 1 permit per megawatt hour of electricity consumed by an activity. The emissions associated with the generation of electricity on the site at which the activity is being conducted (or elsewhere) must therefore not be included in the estimate of direct emissions from an activity.